UC Irvine maintains your records under your full legal name. This page pertains to
changing your name on UCI records after you have legally changed your name. Strong evidence is required to establish a link between you and the record being changed. If you have
a preferred name you would like to use, please visit: Preferred Names.
HOW TO REQUEST A CHANGE OF NAME
You may submit a Request for Name Change to request your name
to be changed on your university records. This form is also available at the
Along with your request, the following supporting
documentation is required to change your name:
- Name Currently on UCI Records
- documentation showing your name as it currently appears on your UCI
- picture ID preferred
- birth certificate or social security card acceptable
One of the following that pertains to your personal circumstance:
- Name Change by Marriage
- copy of marriage certificate; or
- license or certificate of marriage; or
- license and certificate of confidential marriage; or
- certified abstract of marriage.
- Name Change by Dissolution of Marriage
- copy of dissolution of marriage judgment with maiden name restored.
- Name Change by Court Order
- Name Change by Naturalization
- copy of naturalization certificate with the Application for
Change of Name.
- Name Change by Usage Method
- documentation that you are using your new name to transact business
with both state and federal agencies (both are
- valid state issued driver license with new name, or valid
state issued ID card with new name; and
- social security card with new name; and
- documentation that "links" your current and new name.
Submit your completed Request for Name Change along with all
required supporting documentation to the Registrar's Office in person or by mail.
Requests are processed as they are received.
Your student ID number will remain the same.